Unter den Linden

Unter den Linden

THEUnter den Linden is a prestigious boulevard in Berlin that leads from Museum Island to the Brandenburg Gate. The road extends in a straight line for about a kilometer and a half and has a width of 60 meters: in the center there are four rows of lime trees for about a thousand in total, while along the wide sidewalks there are numerous boutiques and shops luxury.

Not to be missed along Unter den Linden

Monument of the Autodafè

In Babelplatz, at the beginning of the avenue on the east side, you will find the monument of the Autodafè, an empty bookcase set underground visible through a glass hatch, in memory of the burning of over 20 books in 1933 by the Nazis.

The Berlin Opera House

Unter den LindenUnter den Linden

THEstate opera of Berlin, whose original name in German is State Opera Unter den Linden, is a German opera company. Its headquarters is precisely the Opera House on Unter den Linden boulevard, in the Mitte district.

The Staatsoper Unter den Linden, known more simply by the abbreviation Linden Opera, is one of the most important theaters in the world, with an international reputation second to none. Very famous personalities are inextricably linked to the history of theater such as Carl Heinrich Graun, Gaspare Spontini, Giacomo Meyerbeer, Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Richard Strauss, Herbert von Karajan and Otmar Suitner, among others.

Organize the visit

The Staatsoper can be reached via the metropolitan U-bahn number 2 and the reference stop is Erns-Reuter-Platz. Visitors can also reach the theater by bus; the M45, X9, 245, N2 stop at Ernst-Reuter-Platz while the 101 stops at Bismarckstr / Leibnizstr.

Il Staatsoper customer service is active from Monday to Friday from 10.00 to 18.00, and can be contacted by phone or by e-mail to get information on the theater program, plan any visits and be directed to the box office services, if you intend to participate in one theathral show.

The German History Museum

Unter den LindenUnter den Linden

Il German Historical Museum (Museum of German History) preserves the memory of German history from the Middle Ages to today. The museum is housed in the magnificent baroque Zeughaus palace, the oldest on Unter den Linden boulevard.

The first floor is dedicated to the history from the 1918st century AD to the end of the empire (1994); the ground floor to the Weimar Republic, the National Socialist period, the postwar period and the two Germanys until the withdrawal of the allied troops in 1945. In particular, two rooms are dedicated to the most recent events: "1949-1949: Germany under Allied occupation" and “1994–XNUMX: divided Germany and Reunification“.

The two paths are very engaging and provide different and interesting points of observation of historical facts. In addition, in the new wing of the museum, in the shape of a glass spiral designed by the architect IM Pei, known for the Louvre Pyramid in Paris, temporary and thematic exhibitions are exhibited.

Humboldt University

Unter den LindenUnter den Linden

THEHumboldt University of Berlin (in German Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, abbreviated to HU Berlin) is one of the oldest universities in the German capital, founded on 15 October 1810 by the liberal Prussian reformist and linguist Wilhelm von Humboldt, whose university model has strongly influenced other European and Western universities.

Humboldt University kicked off its first academic year in 1810 with the faculties of law, medicine, theology and philosophy. Over the years it has expanded to include numerous new scientific disciplines. Alexander von Humboldt, brother of founder William, promoted the expansion of new departments, such as that of natural Science.

The Humboldt University of Berlin consists of three different locations:

  • Campus Mitte: The main building is located in the center of Berlin on the boulevard Unter den Linden and is the heart of Campus Mitte. All humanities institutes are located around the main building together with the Department of Law and the Department of Economics and Commerce
  • North Campus: The North Campus is located north of the main building near Berlin Hauptbahnhof and is the home of the medical sciences departments.
  • Campus Adlershof: The department of natural sciences, together with the departments of computer science and mathematics are located at Campus Adlershof in the south-east of Berlin.

Organize the visit

Through the university website it is also possible to program some tour for tourists. It is possible to be guided in the three different campuses by students of the same University: the tours are carried out only if there is a minimum number of participants and must be booked at least two weeks in advance by contacting the university.

Il Campus Mitte it is easily accessible by all means of public transport. Being in the center of Berlin, there are numerous U-bahn stops in the immediate vicinity, including Friedrichstrasse and Franzosischestrasse. The Campus is located next to the Museum Island, so it can be part of the walking itinerary that you can do when you plan to visit this area.

Il North Campus it can be reached using the means that arrive for the Hauptbahnhof station. The Campus Adlershof it is served by the S-bahn line number 8, 9 and 42 with a stop at the S Betriebsbahnhof Schöneweide station.

The palaces along Unter den Linden

Along the avenue there are numerous places of interest and monuments, such as the Korn are committed to high, the first building on the left that we find ourselves taking the avenue. Originally built in 1795, in 1799 it became the residence of the Berlin military commander. The building was severely damaged during the Second World War, but today it has been restored to its original appearance using some photos of the time.

Continuing along the avenue there is another building, the Crown Prince's Palace (Palace of the Hereditary Prince), courtesy in 1664 as a private residence. From 1732 to 1918 it served instead as a residence for the Hohenzollern family. This palace was also literally demolished during the Second World War.

Another very interesting building located along the Unter den Lindent is the Armory, which is located directly opposite the Kronprinzenpalais. This for many is one of the most beautiful buildings on the avenue; its construction began in 1695 thanks to the project of Johan Arnold Nering, but the latter did not complete the work, work completed by Andreas Schluter. Today this palace is the seat of the German historical museum.

But as mentioned, the Unter den Linden boulevard is really very long, it is worth going through it over and over again to observe buildings that at first glance may escape, such as the New guard (New Guard), which was used by the king's guards as the seat of the guardhouse, and today has been converted into National Memorial for the victims of war and oppression, where you can admire the statue "The mother with the dead son" by Kathe Kollwitz.

Other places of interest located along Unter den Linden boulevard are:

  • The embassy of France and the United States of America.
  • The buildings of the Federal Republic.
  • The historic Adlon hotel, dating back to the XNUMXs.
  • La Alte Bibliotek, the place where Lenin studied in 1895.

add a comment of Unter den Linden
Comment sent successfully! We will review it in the next few hours.